One Life To Ride


Jullay!!

I am yet to recover from my excursion to Leh-Ladakh; the pictures are still stored in my memory.
Here is a quick post to recollect some of my greatest 'Ladakhi' moments.
Some places are such that when you think of capturing their beauty in words, you feel afraid; that you will do injustice to them. Ladakh was such an experience for me. I was so overwhelmed by its grandeur and visual experiences that I kept postponing this blog for months. I would stare at the pictures and loose myself in those unforgettable moments.

The very first thing that stays in my mind are the images of the snow capped mountains ringing the brownish landscape of the cold desert-Ladakh. You can see lakes, monasteries and great landscapes, but as you scoop down the mountains on a bike it takes your breath away.

I had been long praying to the God to bless me with a visit to Ladakh and the God answered my prayers. As I walked through the snow, the Himalayan peaks stood in splendid isolation with lofty mountains, the clouds and the blue skies contrasted magnificently with the white peaks whereever I traversed in Ladakh.

I met many wise Ladakhi people. I asked them "Tell me why have I come here and why I wanted and would want to come back again and again?..."
They said......."You have come back because you listened to your heart and not to your head, you have come to listen to the song of the mountains, and the winds will speak to you. You will return home a "Ladakhi Monk" .

They were right.....I stood a transformed man as was never before.......

Khardung La 4th June 2009:
This was the day I had been waiting for a long time. That day; I was heading to the highest motorable road in the world. The road goes further till the Saichen Base Camp.

I was Riding at high altitude against blowing winds and suddenly here comes the road without any warning!! Yes, here it is - Khardung La, Which is not just any another ordinary road. This was the ultimate moment; a dream that finally came true.

At the world's highest motorable pass - a dizzy 18,350 ft on Khardung La, it was the pinnacle of the adventure that had started 3800 km away from My Home. I stood at what was literally the end of the road, barely able to breathe in the rarefied air but determined to make the most out of the moment. "Those moments were of joy because after years of only longing for them, I finally got them. I had an extreme sense of achievement."

Yes it was cold, minus 10 degrees.

This was one journey which in a true sense tested my mental and physical strengths. There was only the machine and mountains to grapple with. But every single minute was worth it.

I remember I was wearing an ordinary jacket, and once it started snowing at Baralacha La, I didn't know what to do. "So I started singing loudly just to divert my attention from cold and shivering feet and wet clothes.It was a difficult time but now when I look back, I just feel that I was fit enough to survive. "


One year ago onMay 16th 2008; I had stood here all alone, with a motorcycle. No one was around within 60 sq kms and heavily snowed Bharalacha La, which cut short my dream journey. Then I promised myself; that I will return; When i can kiss the snow and the Mountains and I did this year. And Indeed It was a spiritual awakening in a thousand different ways...


There was more in store for me— crossing icy streams and negotiating bad roads and hairpin bends. This was when the 2,500 km odyssey was not even half over.

Panggong which keep changing its Colors!!

I cherished the food from 10 different states, but I really enjoyed the veg momos prepared by Dorjee, the cook at Panggong and the food at Indo-China boarder Post @ Chusul, but my best meal was @ K-Top prepared by Indian army; for me @ 18,380 ft.
All throughout my life I was content to myself and there were times when ignored my family, until then I had never ever cared about my family but here I had enough time to think and discover. this journey was a real spiritual awakening. I have changed a lot because now i know valuing a relation ship is important to live Happy!!

This experience was something which have given me a 'high' in my life. Something that I was looking for since a long time; it had given me that positive feeling around my life; it has given me more respect for myself.

Still can't believe, I am Back.!!!!

My lips were parched, skin was broken at almost everywhere and left behind were some dark blotches. The face was painted in various shades of black, brown and red – mostly black. Both my legs had scar-marks, minor ones though. I was sitting in my Home, after 7990 kilometers Journey….. Aah, and now I have a story to tell.

To Be Continued…..



Comments

Sandeep said…
seems like you had a great trip. Waiting for images and more write up!
Aarthi said…
Woww, now that sounds like one amazing place to visit... Keep it up...
Siddhu said…
The pictures are so clear and lovely, and your description makes me want to pack up and go there now!!!
Dude,
1 more thing; when are u coming back from US.... Call me dude if possible...
Pavan Kumar Vasudev Hukkeri you are a great photographer!! I love photos taken by you...and those has been an inspiration for me...I'd always crave to get that quality of picture with my skills...
Your journey is worth appreciating for following reasons:
1) You did it alone... I don't have enough courage to do it alone
2) It was a well planned trip as you have described.. you chalked out route location , per day target, rest areas etc.
3) You knew your machine...you learnt how to open it up, repair it and put together...
4) You not only completed this trip successfully but also had visited our real people, indian military and beautiful landscapes of India...

You are and will always be my inspiration in this area!!
SANDEEP PANWAR said…
जबरदस्त फ़ोटो,
एक और मिला अपने जैसा, आपकी पोस्ट छोटी मगर जोरदार लगी,
anil mahajan said…
Wow!!truly Awe-inspiring blog!! an awesome memoir wid breath-holding clicks.. Thanks for sharing abt this piece of heaven..will surely vist this place.. Thanks Again!!

Popular posts from this blog

Pune Calling -Route deatils!!!!

Journey are a way of life!! A man with Machine