Some best days of my life...

Deepavali weekend came finally ... as It was quite some time since I had vanished from Bangy and My previous trip Photos also motivated me to cover all my favorite places, But some or other reason kept postponing this trip for some time. This had to happen some time, and It did on Wednesday late Night 22 October. As I would be riding to Home.on Wednesday, 22 October, not even heavy rainfalls in Bangalore could stop me. In fact It always feels good to drive away from Bangy(where everyone is running behind something. But what is that something, nobody is sure about it.), To some peaceful place where people are busy interacting with nature.

It was a 1435 Kilometer journey which took me back to my school and college days, an unforgettable Emotional Journey and Recreating so many memories which will take some time to fade away….


Day 1.Bangalore – TumkurTipturArsikereKadurBirurTarikereBhadravthiShimogaGajanurTuga Reservoir – SagarSigandurSagarKargalHeremanne - Honnemardu - Jog Falls – Honnavar: 640 kilometers.

Day 2.HonnarvarIdagunjiMurdeshwar – Shiva temple - HonnavarKumtaYanakumtaGokarna – Om Beach – Kudle beach – Gokarna Beach – My Beach – AnkolaYellapurKalaghatgiHubli –Home: 358 Kilometers.

Day 1.22 October 2008..

It all started rather early by 11.00 pm when packing got over, and I made sure that I have not missed any thing, and Called up Mom and Dad, and said that I leaving form Bangy and once again I updated them with my travel plan and with lots of suggestion from them I cranked up the bike and started my 998.6 kilometer journey till home, Well I was on my way to Home,after rooming around best and better part of Karnataka(One state… Many Worlds…) After 45 minutes of driving within city limits I found my self on NH-4.The night was chilly and I was happy that I had my touring jacket and hand gloves on this time, The NH-4 Highway is pretty good and is rather busy as well. well my progress was halted by 3 kilometer long horrible traffic Jam, As I made my own road trough busy traffic, a guy asked me drop till Nelamanga cross as his, car broken down, after couple of minutes; I found a truck next to the road, the root cause for the traffic jam, after dropping Afzal, at his destination, I moved on towards mine...

As Roads started to open up and I started cruising, But after few minutes rain started to lash on heavily and visibility reduced to just few meter, well I though it will be raining at some parts and not all along the way..Lesson learnt from my motorcycle trips, so moved on.... But the intensity of rain increased, and Had to stop; on the way took some time of at Cafe coffee day till rain, takes a breather, after an half hour or so sky got cleared and I was back an my Saddle, Happy this time thought what ever hick ups where there, all have been weathered and there will be no more hiccups’ or any surprises ahead, and as I was Cruising at 100+ speed and A qualis was fallowing me, as my bike progress was slowed down by path holes near Tumkur, he came just next to me and asked where I was heading I said Shivamoga, he wished me happy Journey, at first I didn't realize why he spoke to me, later show the vehicle name plate its from Hubli and He thought I was on my way to Hubli; Seeing my Number plate.... After this little conversation, we departed our ways at Tumkur…. He moved on NH-4 towards Hubli and I towards Shivamoga It was nearly one 1.30 in nights as I rode into the city of leaving the NH-4 and taken NH-206 towards Shivamoga, it really isn't a pretty town in terms of roads, in fact it is best to avoid it if one can, and however I could not.

I continued riding as lovely breeze which I cannot see, and darkness which I cannot touch give me company. At around 3.15 I halted at Arsikere Bus stand and had a tender coconut, and took a picture just to show my cousin, as see always wanted me visit her house, and I was there but in mid night, and left from there. And later I took a second brake at Birur. The roads from here onwards were totally bad with unending potholes, as I was driving slowly because of Bad roads, I made steady progress; but Near Bhadravathi, I spotted the fox crossing the road , just few meters before me and clearly visible because from headlight ,well it was shining in the night, and within no time vanished inside darkness, and I moved on till Bhadravthi and halted yet again to have tea at a roadside shop, Here one can visit lovely Bhadra dam built across Bhadra River, one has to take a left trun leaving NH-206 after Bharavathi and near Kuvempu university another 12 kilometers journey through the Paddy fileds will lead you to this Beautiful dam, if any once visits Bharavathi please don’t miss this dam, , the height of the dam is 194 ft. There are a number of islands created by the Bhadra river backwaters and you can enjoy the boat ride around these islands. As I had been there and it was 5.00 am in the morning, so moved on..

Within no time I reached Shimoga at 5.50 am and took a break and my trip meter read 340 kilometers, well hardest part of the journey was covered in very good time, after reaching shimoga Just before before sun rise, as I was Driving towards the Gajanur village, and I saw first ray of light, the darkness vanished and slowly every thing around me started breathing, and nature displayed its true colors!!!! wow!!!! Instead of Noisy and Polluted roads in Bangy…. I was inside the beautiful county side surrounded by Beautiful views all around… As the day braked, the remote countryside came to life and I needed to stop and embrace the dawn. The early morning colors always look amazing every where. Cameras could not capture the real colors. Every setting bringing out a different colored hue. my first stop over for the day was Tunga Reservoir inside Gajanur village, built across river Tunga its just 14 kilometer from the city of Shimoga,

Tunga Reservoir:
Tunga Reservoir

After Couple of minutes of driving through the Beautiful Gajanur village, Soon reached the gates of the dam, just to find the security guards inside the gates. After 5 minutes conversation with them, as always I managed to get the permission to enter the dam premises.


I moved on towards the dam hoping to see beautiful sun rise rising from the Backwaters of the dam….The Tunga reservoir provides additional irrigation potential in Shimoga District.. The total length of the dam is 770m. This included 334m of spillway. And 1.5 kilometer morning walk Over the dam is worth experiencing once in a life time.



As I was walking over the dam Amazing sights greeting me and nature saying Good morning…… as sun light scattered across the sky bringing every thing to life….Those views where amazing!!!!!

Backwaters of Reservoir

At 7.00 Am in the morning I Bid adieu to the Dam and its care takers, what amazing start to an eventful day to fallow…

wonderful Sight!!!!!

Another One!!!!!

As I was back on my dear friend of mine and drove intothe heart of Shivamoga city, and moved on towards sager.

At 7.30 I reached Tavarekoppa after 10 km from Shimoga, en-route to Sagar town here you will come across Tavarekoppa Tiger and Lion Safari where you can see Lions, Tigers and other animals are often found roaming around in the deep forests freely. The safari is spread over a huge area of dense forest. you can witness the grace, diversity, colour and marvel of nature and catch enlivening glimpses of lions, tigers, cheetah, bear, (Let out from the cage) deer, and rare migratory birds as they amble around in this luxuriant habitat and Also Be there after 10.00 am As Lion-Tiger Safari is open from 10.00 AM to 5.00 PM on all days of the week, save Tuesday, which is the one day when the Safari is shut and unavailable.


A Quite lake with lots of Lotus on the way to Sagar


Our National Flower

After few snaps I moved on as I cannot weight till 10.00 am so moved on, Form here onwards Roads where awesome, Lovely weather, Beautiful Views greeted me as I dove through beautiful Country side... and while I was driving Spotted Kadali Crop( Chole in Hindi), inside the farm, stopped my bike and stared Walking through paddy fields to reach them was nice, this is my favorite, many people here in south Karnataka doesn’t know about that, but every one in Hubli- Dhrawad is crazy about them and during this time of the year(Deepavali) you can find them being sold every where on roadside in Hubli-Dharwad; and I did Puck few from the fields; as no one was around to take permission and able to taste them after one long year which was awesome!!!! Man I love them they tasted brilliant. It was worth traveling 400 kilometers form them on my ever faithful machine…....
Very happy after having my breakfast with tender Chole and Groundnuts fresh from fields I come back on my saddle and move on towards Sagar, now I Dove into the sharavathi Wild life sanctuary, I sailing on my bike and clicking Pictures all along the way; and experienceing the exciting feeling of early loneliness in the forest with not other human for quite some distance. It was awesome watching the clear sky and lovely Forset....



Inside Sharavayhi wildlife santury On the way to Sagar

As I was driving towards sagra, after some time I stated to fealing little sluggish, and I felt that I was not able to drive with proper concentration, so halted at tea shop just 5 kilometers before Sagar town and much needed half hour Early morning tea brake with lovely biscuits was awsome, along with the cup of tea also had quite a good chat with the shop owner, He Looking at my bike and luggage asked where I was from; after I told him that I was from Hubli and going to Hubli from Bangalore, after hearning this he pulled up lots of other questions under his hat, One thing which always Fascinates me, where ever I go on bike, I always find people; some or the other way associated with Hubli, He said me that, his daughter is in Hubli now and married two years back well he stated to narrate entire story, after having a nice chat with him. As I was about move on, in Mean time a guys who waiting for the bus, Requested for a drop till Sagar and now again; I had some one behind me for at least 8 kilometers…Just after entering the Sagar town; I took left towards Sigandur.. He asked me 'where I was heading?'. I said "Sigandur", then he told me that he will get down on the way, I said grate…


On the way to Sigandur

Soon after dropping him I moved on towards Sigandur, The road from Sagar to Sigandur is not so grate as you have to drive 30 kilometers through the Sharavathi Wildlife Sanctuary but views are just amazing, I stopped all along the way for some picks, then moved, Soon Reached my second Destination for the day at the banks of Sharvathi rever, from here you can go to Devi Chaudamma temple at Sigandur; This place is located in the other side of backwater; to reach temple you have to cross the sharavathi River which is nothing but backwaters of Liganmakki dam.



It is one of the most mesmerizing and breathtaking place anyone can see.
To reach this place one has to come to the main city Sagar. Sagar is nearly 380Kms from Bangalore city. For people over here only mode of transport Between two main lands is launch service which is limited . Vehicles reach one side of the bank of the river Sharavathi. well the Villagers here where given a choice between a launch or a Bride, the Villagers chose the Launch and now they are in grate trouble, due to that. If one needs to cross over, they had to wight for specific timing of the launch. Launch ( ferry ) service is available from this bank to the other bank to cover a distance of 2 Km. Service available upto 5.00pm only.The other side of the river is a small village called Kalasavalli belonging to the main place called Tumari. From this place Sigandur is nearly ten KMs. The goddess Chaudamma ( Chowdamma ) temple is located at Sigandur. During Sankranti (in the month of January ) a festival is celebrated here. Tourist from all part of visits this place during the festival.

The temple priest gives a cupper and brass tag to the devotes for nominal fee. There is a belief that on wearing this tag belonging will not be stolen from houses.Accommodation is available only at temple premises for limited number of persons only. Food is not available in this place as there are no private hotels.


I was there, at 10.00, but my visit was only till here, sat beside the backwaters enjoying sheer beauty of the place, and didn’t wanted to cross the river to other side as I had been there with my bike once, also I had to move towards Honnemardu and then to Jog falls, if I had been there I would have to miss my favorite place Honnemardu or Jog falls which I didn’t wanted to….
Cooling its eyes...

So I sat at the banks it was only nature everywhere and it was so pleasant and so beautiful. after an hour of quality time, and absorbing the shear beauty of nature; it was time to move towards my Place "Honnemardu",I had one tender coconut, My bike was delighted, being here for second time, at 11.00 I moved on towards Sagar city….But if any one of you come here, please enjoy the ferry journey of 2 km I believe you will remember the ferry journey for longer time and thoroughly enjoy the nature and Sigandur Chaudamma temple.

Just WoW!!!!!
Vardahalli Temple:
AT 11.40 I was inside the sagar town and as always I was searching for some home made food, Because where ever I go; I just love to taste local food, as every home has some thing special went it comes to Food; but didn’t find any thing on the way, stooped at shop and asked them, they told me to visit a temple at Vardahalli, just 4 kms from the sagar town, With there suggestion I moved on towards Vardahalli, Vardahalli is a small hamlet that is off the main road near the town of Sagar on the way to jag falls. There is a temple here and like most other temples in the region, where free lunch is provided at a communal dining hall every day to all visitors between 1.00 – 2.00 hrs. Although the lunch is free, donations are recommended. the seating is on the floor and there are no tables or chairs. But having reached there just before 12.00, And having reached early, I went to temple which is at the top of the hill, I was not better idea to wait for an hour for food, So I thought I will have food on the way to honnemardu; where I had Lovely home made food during my last visit…. So after a brif stop at this beautiful place and temple, I was back on my saddle, and drove towards Honnemardu…..


Steps Leading Unto Temple.

Vardhahalli Temple


Bye Bye Sagar, will be Back soon....

Honnemardu.

On the way to Honnemardu

Lovely forest on the way to "Honnemardu"


On My way to Honnemardu...

At around 1.00 in the after noon I was there after 530 kms Journeny from Bangy. 'Honnemardu' is supposed to be a village submerged under the Linganmakki reservour.Just 10 KMS before reaching Jog Falls, you should take a deviation after Talaguppa towards Kargal and then left towards Heremane here you have take left turn leaving the road and another 6 kilometer journay inside the forest will lead you to this Memarising Beautifull place...

Honnemardu


I have no words to describe such a beautiful place, This place is for people who love Adventure and water sport..Once here You are just with nature and you feel one among everything else that so easily blends with nature....

After entering my details in the Register book maintained by the The Adventurers, a Bangalore-based NGO over there, I Headed straight towards water.... here I meat another amazing person and His name is Santosh, since I had not seen him during my last visit; just out of Curiosity asked" how long he has been here?, and he said: that he had been here just two months back, after nice conversation and some photos, we both took a coracle down to water from the mainland and then went gliding across Cristal clear water to an Islands formed by the Liganmakki Reservoir, as the nearest Island is about half kilometers from the main land we both had to do the some Coracling.

Coracling to the Island

On my way to Heaven.....


One among many Island

And once on the Island (where we pitched during our last visit), it was only The wind whistle through the bamboo thickets and the soft swish of bats as they settle on trees laden with fruit. you are, on your very own island in a water surrounded by lush green hills, miles away from the hurly-burly of the city. One among Lot of Birds and butterflies which can be sighted while walking along the ridges...

In some 20 mints at the island relived those amazing moments of my last visit, now its was time to get back to mainland, after reaching back to shore, it was time to Bid adieu to Santosh..


Santosh Ferry Boy



last glimps, Just as I turn my back towards Honnemardu.

As I was walking back towards my saddle number of emotions and thoughts were running thourgh my mind...I cannot express what I was feeling at that time, back on bike as I drove back; I have so much attachment to this place; that I just didn't wanted to leave from here so early, after a while I stopped on my way back and headed back to the place where you can see another Island, sat there alone speech less, motion less... .


And few lonely moments!!!

I just want to mention here about "The Adventurers", a Bangalore-based NGO(Number:08023409712): It organises camping and adventure activities on Honnemardu and in the hills around. Please book advance for these activities, Here Trained instructors familiar with the surrounding forest areas guide you through these activities, experience begins when you are paddled to the island from Honnemardu by guides in a coracle. Explore the small Island. You can explore some jungle trails, watch the sunset and enjoy the whole outdoor experience. Tents are pitched once you reach the island. A guide always stays with the group on the island overnight, Come the morning and the guide takes you back to the camp at Honnemardu. This is truly a wildlife and nature reserve as there are absolutely no tourist facilities of any kind for miles around. They will arrange for a breakfast, topped with steaming hot Coorg coffee. Carry back all other trash. Only veg food, no liquor, no smoking.

River Sharavathi
I recommend that you go in a group of 5 -8 people other wise it would be boring to spend the night at this abode, and have your own mode of transport, else you will be required to walk 10 kilometers from Talaguppa.

Backwaters at Honnemardu

After spending almost 3 hours, I took leave from Honnemardu, and with in 15 mints, at around 4.15 I was at the foot steps of mejectic Jog falls(India's secand highest and the thrid highest waterfall in Asia, The Kunchikal is the Highest waterfall in India located near Agumbe in Shimoga district itself. Kumchikal falls is formed by Varahi river. Currently Kunchikal falls is the prime source for one of the major hydro electric projects in Karnataka). At Jog Sharavati river makes a spectacular drop of 260 m (900 ft) in four distinct cascades—known locally as Raja, Rani, Roarer and Rocket—to create one of the highest waterfalls in Asia. The falls is at its best during the monsoon, with arching rainbows colouring the mist.

After praking my bike at a tea shop, and requesting them to take care of luggage, I move on to another side of the falls, As I was on my way to falls; found "Vikas"(A student from shivamoga Engginearing callege) I requested him to take a Picture of mine, after Thanking him for that, I started my trek to the top of each one of them, ("I'e RAJA, RANI, RORER, ROCKET") During this time time of the year, when water level at the falls is low, You can easily make your way on top each on of the above falls, for me the Jog Falls and Jagada Gundi always looks better form top. As I was on my way,Vikas asked me "where I was heading?", When I said On top of Each one of them....after this Vikas also joined me in this Tourcheres trek....

As we moved on; first it was Raja, anyone can easily reach till here, You have no idea, what you will be experiencing, when you are on top of This majestic water falls, at 260 meters hight,

Other side of Roarer

Just you have to be there, to experience!!!!!!
There is a huge difference in looking down from top of the falls and looking up from the bottom. The latter one makes you humble and gives an inferiority complex of good-for-nothing-human-being, which is true. But both views are amazing. I sat there silently facing the drizzles from the falls. :)

Bird's Eye view - At top King of all the falls


One at the top of the falls and looking down 900 ft. As Always It was a mesmerizing sight!!!. People playing in water down below were smaller as ants. I spent a good 10 mints their; enjoying the view and I told Vikas to be little canscious as he was very excited; being here for the first time, told him to be conscious; and don't lose your senses in excitement...

A Mesmerizing view of King on the way to Rocket

Rocket(Left) and Roarer(Right)

Rockets Journey begins here!!!


What A view of Sharavthi Valley through Western ghats
One among many small streams!!!!


How to Cross over?


Hurdles on the way to Roarer!!!

Its Roarer journey from 253 meters...

After an trek; Much needed refreshing brake


Bridge view from below on the way back..

After coming Back where my bike was parked, I was shaggy and every foot was hard to take now, I some how managed to reached there, the 545 kilometers journey and This muscle juggling trekking, I have asked lot out of me and also the fact that I had no solid food from morning; At this moment If anything in the world; That I was badly in needed was some excellent food.


I asked the shop owner(Yerrappa) is there anything to eat?.
looking at my shaggy appearance, a very different from the one he saw when I parked my bike there, He asked R u Ok?...

I just said yes? and but I want to eat some thing.
When he came to know that I needed home made food; He asked me:weather I would have "Mudde"..
I said grate!!!!

Man those Two "Ragi Mudde with Heaserbele saru and Pickles" tasted awesome,
While having the food, In my conversation with Yerrappa; I found out that; initially he was from Honnemardu. The Liganmakki dam project drew them away from their land. Honnemardu is now an island submerged in the dam backwaters. He explained how difficult it was for him, and ther family(when he was a twelve year old) to witness such a transition. They had to move to a new land, make new relationships and gain trusts of the new neighbors. The initial years of setting up the farm were very difficult, he said. When he noticed my interest in visiting the place, and when he came know that I love His birth place and had been there; before coming here, he was delighted, and He was also fascinated to know from me that his hometown had been featured on the internet. The scenic beauty of the place can be best expressed through those pictures above, He Saw All the pictures Till now which I Taken from camera.
Looking at the Pictures Yerrappa said – “I have lived 12 years of my life there, Now all my friends moved to some other place. I visit them even now. I may have moved here, but I still contact them, I would be less human if I ignore relationships. Yes, eventually they all will learn to live without us, but still one can never ignore the moments.” I silently nodded unable to make out the intention.

I thanked the women for their amazing hospitality which made me feel so much at home. I thanked them. Yerrappa asked me to call Him, after I reached my home; he gave me his phone number. He asked me to keep in touch. The entire family came out and bade farewell.
In Half hour, I felt like a part of this family, their happiness, their problems and it was all possible due to their hospitality, their niceness.

I Drove towards other side of the falls, just wondering that there are so many people who enter out lives and leave Remarkable impression..........



Sharvathi River Bride on the way to Jog falls


As sun was down, I just got a glimpse of Classical Jog falls.Best time to experince water falls is when sufficient water is available in the river. Usually from June to September is the best time as monsoon remains active during this time of the year,and This place almost resides in the border of Western ghats of mountain ranges. Afternoon is the best time to watch the fall as sunlight will directly fall on the water fall with mesmerizing Rainbow colors, and There are various view points to see and enjoy the water fall.

Raja, Rani Roarer And Rocket

The first of these falls is known as the 'Raja' - the grandest, an unbroken sheet of water, the Raja plunges into the vapor shrouded poll 900 feet below. A few 100 feet way down, with a thunderous gush, Raja is joined by 'Roarer'. Leaping down with great speed in a series of cascades is the 'Rocket'. And gliding away in a feminine grace is our own 'Rani'.

After taking rest for couple of minutes here, I headed towards Honnavar to pitch for the night which is further 75 kilometers from the Jog, from Jog the NH-206 Roads runs through the beautiful western ghats, at its was dusk not able to see and capture anything on the way, I moved on with just one break in between; for Tea as and not before long at 8.30 I checked into hotel, I was spared by rain almost whole trip. I wasn't really in a mood for adventure , but wanted to have a nice ride with my "bike" to celebrate our five year Long journey, well what a ride it was 640 Kilometers and still counting but things worked out just fine. And last to say, My Pulser is just awesome. So that was curtains to an amazing day of my life...What a day It was......

Comments

Unknown said…
WOW! that luks like a really great journey! keep rocking always!
Unknown said…
hi mama , great journey seems like there is no end for u r wheelz



,,,, keep rocking
Kiran said…
Good travelogue , even greater to see bikers from our part of Karnataka.

Cheers

Popular posts from this blog

Pune Calling -Route deatils!!!!

Journey are a way of life!! A man with Machine

One Life To Ride