Bye Bye Chennai....

I got a chance to make my 1st official trip (Relocation) to Chennai for a month. When my PM came to me and Said “I have to go to Chennai for a month!!!” I said great another long Trip.. but all my colleagues had other ideas, no one was ready to come to Chennai... but since it was just month, I said grate!!!! Also for a long time I has been planning to go to Salem and Pondicherry.. But it never happened... Since I had never been to Chennai earlier... So I had no idea about what I am going to do there…

First day in new office I was wondering what I am going to do over here... Really initially first few days wondering here and there in office.. simply because I didn’t had machine and we couldn't do anything interesting, it took almost 3 days till friday we got the machines and by this time saranya (our collogue) was there as a care taker, guiding us all the time.., and it didn’t take long for me to come to terms with this new workplace simply because of saranya, which made my life a whole lot easier & these there days passed parity quickly!! wow!!! I have to say a whole month....never realized how quickly days went by.... When Sridharan (PM) said you can go back on friday 25th I said to jagdish "EK Mahina hogaya Kya..." Like that... Just didn’t feel that I was here for a month

Chennai what can I say it’s a cool place to stay, but not in terms of the temperature off course, but everything else was refreshing and very new experience all together...

One thing that stuck me most about Chennai is that you will find lot of local population unlike Bangalore & they know each and every thing about this city.... I found people over here where very helpful, but little bit Language problem that’s ok... In fact, this attribute of the people is most wonderful, and is of tremendous academic interest. Unless they want something from you or want to exercise their skills in Hindi, they will not talk to you in Hindi. English they might speak, but Hindi, an emphatic no!! well every person I came across here gave me proper direction and exact bus numbers to catch when ever I asked for, even the Guest house guyz who knows little bit hindi... I must say he was like a guide... telling me about Chennai the places around... and whole lot off stuff.....
And in weekends I did visit few of the places during my stay in Chennai.
The first weekend I went to Besant Nagar beach or Eliot’s Beach, and its just 15 min walk from gadish's guest house, like most of the beaches in Chennai, always much crowded, and even more in the weekends, along side the beach there are small food stalls and other such small time business shops , there’s Barista, Coffee Day, A burger shop and the local fish fry shop if you are not too concerned about the hygiene thing. (All will be open till late night)also along side there a famous temple – The AshtaLakshmi Temple honoring Lakshmi- the goddess of wealth and a Church. and very cool place to spend some time after hard day at office....

If there is one place in Chennai you want to definitely go atleast once if not more..it would be 'marina beach'. Marina beach is a place u shouldn’t miss...boasting one of the longest beaches in the world...may not be very clean...but still its worth being here for sure...the vaaaaaaaaaast stretch of the beach...ooooooo..its really really long. And having reached Marina, if you decide to walk along it's shoreline till you reach the end of the beach, you need to have the stamina of a West Indian beach-ball player because the Marina continues for another thirteen kilometres, (one of the biggest beach in the India) a walk along side the bay of Bengal is experience in itself... ... unhindered and tireless. Though there is the more posh Elliot's beach, it is the Marina that is the spirit of Chennai ... not so rich, not so poor... but proud... and proud from the heart. most of the beach is crowded most of the time i had been there (Only twice being just 4km from guest house..) but if you choose some right spots after a couple of minuets walk down the beach, Nothing ever beats roaming around the beach, there some pretty good spots, it is quite a beautiful beach and very famous tourist attraction in Chennai. Along side the Beach other famous attractions include Statues of Legends like Mahatma gandhi,Sivaji ganesan,Kannagi,Thiruvaloor & Memorials for M.G. Ramachandran,C.N. Annadurai (former Chief ministers). But I missed my Bike a lot here.... that would have made my life hole lot easier, when ever I want to stay at the Beach for a long time mainly at night with roaring Sea, and not worried about reaching guesthouse

There is a large banyan tree spread over more than 59,500 sq ft Near Adayar(very near to my guest house) a short drive beyond the Marina and near Adyar river you will find very famous Banyan tree(450 years old). It stretches from a bridge at the banks of Adyar River to the Seashore and the Banyan tree is in the centre. There are people who often say that this is the largest Banyan tree in the world(But the world’s biggest banyan tree is located at Thimmamma Marimanu near Gooty). The vast area occupied by the Banyan tree belongs to the Theosophical Society. Shade of its sprawling branches stretches 59,500 sq ft leaves one with awe inspiring thoughts. Sitting under the banyan tree, which filters the ultra violet rays, was an wonderful experience.

And another place which worth a visit is Spencer plaza-this is one of Chennai's finest & largest shopping mall (the only mall that I had been) I must say it’s much bigger then the Forum mall. After all, its one of India’s biggest shopping mall. The biggest attraction was that the entire place was air-conditioned! Even the open space at the center is air conditioned. This should be the reason behind all the extremely expensive stores there. Its a nice place to spend some time - wandering through the corridors n looking at all the stuff - sure is an entertaining way to waste a day, of course unless you have something specific in mind.

And Oh I forgot!!!Traffic in the city is always moving, for a whole month I have seen very less traffic on all the roads that I traveled, even a bus journey from office to Guest house is pretty quick, less than a hour for a 17 km journey and crossing major signals which is unlike Bangalore, and If you are looking at economical public transport...Then best option is the In-city Bus service, it is quit cheep, I must say every day I had to catch 3 buses from guest house to office and altogether it just used cost me 13 rupees, but if I take a auto it will be 200rs, the other option is Local Electric Trains will prove ideal. But I never got a chance to travel in those even though I wanted to, so cannot write more on that and lastly would be Auto rickshaws - auto rickshaw drivers here will always demand double the metered rate or even more when they come to know u r not a localite, At all times enter the auto rickshaw only after you and the driver are in agreement as to what the fare should be (metered rate, a fixed sum or metered rate plus a few rupees extra). As much as possible, it is always better to hail a moving and vacant auto rickshaw, than to try and pick one from a stand.

The other thing is that, there are many more startups there, some real amazing stuff - which is something very interesting to me. Chennai has one of well maintained race tracks in India, were we can try out the biking skills along with professional bikers. Just meeting and interacting with them opens so many windows with great ideas - which was awesome!!!!

But then again, it is just impossible to Keydown what I had experienced in those 30 days. this trip to Chennai made clear that I had got a very wrong notion about Chennai from my friends and I wouldn’t mind being there for even few months at least.
After this one month trip to chennai I can say that "If you are ready to go places and explore, there’s no better way of keeping physically fit, mentally alert and emotionally balanced."
well this quote is made for this occassion
“Our happiest moments as tourists seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else” Lawrence Block.

Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Pune Calling -Route deatils!!!!

Journey are a way of life!! A man with Machine

One Life To Ride