Some best days of my life... Day 2.

Friday; 24 October 2008
Morning came early; it was around 8.00 in the morning, Quiet satisfied with last night sleep!!!! Its time to get in touch with the outside world, with lovely morning tea, and what a sad news I read; first thing in the morning; that five college friends drowned at OM - Beach; well I remembered the days; when we friends just loved to be at this place... this sad news Damped my spirit little bit; But it was time to leave;I was all ready and packed; checked out , lubricated the bikes chains and started after few phone calls; and my first pit stop for the day was Murdeshwar; As I just made my way to NH-17; I was totally adorned by the smell of fish; well as NH-17 runs along side the West cost and it has be there; after couple of minutes I got used to it ... Well what a lovely day it was; As Sun was at its best, along with lovely early morning breeze; wow!!! What a time to drive through NH-17....

Well... First Malenadu belt of North Karnataka is blessed with Such Natural floral beauty and splendor with Evergreen rich forests in Sahyadri Hills and Western Ghats, Beautiful River Valleys and the Blue Arabian Sea. Four perennial rivers, Kali, Gangavali, Aghanashini and Sharavathy flow with all glory to merge with the grand Arabian Sea. Serene and peaceful atmosphere of this whole region in the coastal area, helps to gain Real peace of mind " Beauty is truth and truth is Beauty" holds good in this area. In addition to Nature's paradise, the region consists of places of Historical and religious importance also like Sadashivgad at karwar, Gokarn, Murdeshwar and Melina Idagunji.

A view from Sharavathi river bridge on the way to Murdeshwar


Sharavathi river bridge on the way to Murdeshwar
After Honnavar on the way to Murdeshwar you will come across Melina Idagunji which has an ancient temple of Ganapathi who has only two hands unlike other Ganesha's who have four hands. This is said to be a place of penance selected by Rishies; Once you are here you can visit this lovely temple. But my first pit stop for the day was Murdeshwar; Murdeshwar is said to have a part of Atma Linga of Gokarn. Here main attraction is his Shiva temple complex Beautiful location of the temple surrounded by the sea is really marvelous, and its a famous tourist attraction; The Murudeshwara Temple is built above Kanduka Hill which is surrounded by the Arabian Sea and having the biggest shiva statue in Karnataka.

Murdeshwar!!!


Shiva temple complex @ Murdeshwar

A Gopura (Tower structure) is in front of this Shiva temple which is guarded by two life-size elephants; at the steps leading to the temple. And a huge towering statue of Lord Shiva which is staggering 123 feet (37 m) in height, and It took about 2 years to build. During my last visit; it was still under construction; but now its looking more glorious with the Golden paint; The statue was built at a cost of approximately 10 million Rs. The idol is designed such that it gets the sun light directly and thus appears sparkling. The entire temple complex area is owned by a private owner.


A Chariot @ Murdeshwar Temple


Ariel View of Arabian Sea from temple complex

Ariel View of Arabian sea!!!

Murdeshwar Beach from temple complex!!!
After spending around some half an hour inside the temple complex; it was time to move on; I had lovely breakfast; With Stomach full; I was back on saddle and drove Back towards Honnavar....

A place where I shared some lite moments with friends near Honnavar


Amaravathi River Bridge near Kumta on NH-17

Amaravathi River Bridge near Kumta on NH-17

Yana!!!!!

Western Ghats of Karnataka have hidden several wonders of the nature within its deep dark woods. And one of the most remarkable among them is Yana. Yana is turly marvelous combination of greenery and gigantic rocks; is a Must visit place if you are traveling through the malenadu belt.


Journey through evergreen forest..


On the way to Yana...

On the way to Yana...

Well had to get down and walk

To get to Yana, you should crisscross your way through the captivatingly dense forest and boy! Does the sight of these monster rocks amidst such sprawling greenery take your breath away?.. As thick forest provide an ideal canopy and lovely streams wait patiently for your tired soul. Well Birds chatter amongst themselves and colorful butterflies teasingly dart across your path all along the way.

Trekking path towards Yana!!!


A mesmerizing walk through Verdant forest

One among many small streams flowing through the forest.


Streams at Yana...

A walk to remember!!!

Since Yana is deep inside the verdant forests after crossing lovely streams you suddenly come across the two rocks making their way through the luxuriant greenery first the Bhairaveshwara Shikhara and slightly smaller one is called the Mohini Shikhara, Stick out of the dense jungles of Northern Karnataka like towering monsters wearing an unmistakable cloak of mystery.
First Glips of Mohini Shikara

Mohini Shikara

Rock formations at Yana near Mohina shikara

The taller of the two rocks is the Bhairaveshwara Shikhara stands tall at 120 meters above the ground and slightly smaller one at 90 meters is the Mohini Shikhara, Till a few years back, there was no motor able road to this point, only a hardy trekker could savor the beauty of these, But now the road are being lead and will be completed within a month.


Bhairveshwara Shikara


Bhairveshwara Shikara!!!!

Legend says that!!!!

Yana has mythological significance as well and as is common with all such places it is the epicenter of many a legend. And the most popular fable is associated with the evil demon Bhasmasura, who, after considerable penance to Lord Shiva, extracted th e power of reducing to ashes anybody on whose head he placed his hand. But the egoistic Bhasmasura soon decided to test this boon on his benefactor! To escape from the demon's evil intentions, Shiva came down to earth and hid himself in the dark nooks of these rocks at Yana. Seeing his plight, Vishnu assumed the form of a seductive female dancer -- Mohini -- and managed to win Bhasmasura's affections. She wily challenged him to a dance competition and induced him to place his hand on his head. The unwit ting demon did just that and was reduced to a heap of ashes.and the heat generated in this combustion of Bhasmasura was so intense that the limestone -- which the rocks are composed of -- turned black. Adding credence to this legend is the presence of loose black soil scattered around the monoliths which locals believe as the demon's ashes.



Way to Bhairveshwara Temple!!!!

Amamzing!!! Inside Bhairveshwara Shikara

Inside Bhairveshwara Shikara!!! But stings!!!


Inside Bhairveshwara Shikara

Inside Bhairveshwara Shikara!!!
A lot of efoort has been made by Forest Department of karnataka to keep Yana clean and , today, it is no longer the litter infested place that it used to be.....
Beware of the leeches!
There are these tiny leeches that creep up your legs in the rainy season and suck your blood, without you even noticing them! Sounds creepy? Well, Yana can present lots of invisible challenges in the rainy season. It is advisable to carry some salt and lemon to ward off leeches; though fortunately I did not come across any.. The rocks are slippery, and so are the muddy roads that lead to Yana. Also, there are manya small rivulet(Streams) that flows just within an arm’s length of Yana rocks and guess what? These rivulet are welcoming delight to travelers!!!.

Waterfalls:

If you have come all the way to either Sirsi or Kumta to watch Yana, make sure you watch other attractions such as waterfalls around Sirsi. There are innumerable waterfalls in the vicinity of this region. Make sure to check them out.

Well I was on my way back after soaking lovely forest atmoshphere towards Katagal; at a Road construction site I meat the Bhimana another wonderful person from Hubli; Having noticed that I was Troding alone inside this verdant forest; and while having a welcome home made food "Rotti Utta" at Kathagal had lovely conversion with him; after this I took leave from Bhimana(First person to call me and wish Happy Deepavali on early Saturday morning!!!!!); dropping him again at his work place.. at 2.30 I moved on Towards my private beach at Gokarna to spend a unforgettable evening with sun, sand and Arabian sea....

Gangavali River Bridge!!!!


Beaches at Gokarna

At 3.30 I was inside Gokarna, and If any one of you love walking around the beaches; then Gokarna is the place to be...You can literally walk to each one of five beaches; you can begin the walk from Gokarna town at the Kotitheertha - a large tank. The next stop is famous Gokarna Mahabaleshwara Temple - one of the holiest places in the south. It is said to be the place where Ganapathi coaxed Ravana to put Atmalinga on the ground. Further ahead is the Gokarna beach, a straight beach almost 7km long. Further down to Gokarna Beach. will take you through an elevated plain, for almost a kilometer before you hit Kudle Beach. Kudle Beach is a nice long stretch of sand almost half kilometer long. From here, continue walking south through the hills and get down to Om Beach. Om Beach is the most popular of the beaches in Gokarna. If you are doing the walk in winter, you can stop at one of the few restaurants at the beach for some evening snacks. and then continue further from Om Beach, you walk close to the shore. and sfter 15-minute walk will take you to half moon beach and another few minutes away its Paradise Beach - the 5th and last of the beaches where the 6km long walk ends. when ever in Gokarna make sure that you spend one evening in each of these beaches....




It was nice to be there after three long years!!!

OM - Beach


Kudle Beach from the Road!!!!

After gazing around at this amazing shore line; I was om my way to"My private Beach"; once at my beach where you will be greeted by charismatic Arabian sea. Way back, there was a WELL; but now; Its completely filled with the mud and it is not traceable any more now. This particular location is just AMAZING!!!!. You have to visit this place and spend at least 2 hours. Relax your self; see the beach and the surrounding place. You will be in entire different world all together. Nice breeze, Lovely views of Arabian sea, Sun playing with the sky. Sun set is so nice over here, but this time I was not fortunate enough to witness one of the best sun set that any one can experience.I have been visiting this place from my PUC college days. Every time I visit this place, it gives me fresh idea and fresh life.This virgin beach always helps me when it comes to clearing the dark cobwebs of memory.

On the way to My private beachA tomb on the way to Beach...


What a Sight!!!

A view of Gokarna from "My beach"

Couple of them!!!

Well it was time to Leave!!!!
At 6.30 not able to see sun getting dissappered; I had to take leave from this Mesmerizing place; and now all road from here where leading to just one place, My Favorite Temple!!!! after a brief pit stop at Ankola for much needed tea. then after 2 hours Roller coster journey through yellapur ghats; Hubli welcomed me with open hands (The NH-63 from Ankol to Hubli is one of the most senic route and one of the best roads that any one can drive; Here road runs through yellapur ghat, inside lovely yellapur forest and 8 bridges on the way and best time to drive is during day when sun is shining)



AT 8.30 I rode home with huge smile on my face. On reaching home, I softly honked as the gates opened and I parked the bike and unloaded the things. Just as I stepped away, I turned my back to the bike. The way I looked at the bike, I was sure it knew how much I was in love. I walked into the house imagining all the places I had been, and told to myself, "That I can not really cope without IT", what a journey " Five Years.. 82000 Kilometers and still counting!!!!

Mom was Delighted to see me again ,so was I. while having Amazing dinner; As I was narrating entire story of my journey; remembered to call Yeerappa; He said – " Pavan, I have no children, and I have liked the way you behave and speak. so keep visiting. Never forget to call us and drop by.” after this mom also thanked Yeerappa for their amazing Hospitality....I have encountered many such people like yeerappa in my life and few more during this journey of mine and I always hope that I see them again or at least try to keep in touch to maintain that special bond that may be for a small instance, but existed....

During this trip; , there where so many little moments of joy; what people say "Peace of mind" to my heart’s content; I’ve found it, felt it, lived it, experienced it, all over again in these 2 days and what else I can say it was magical !!!which i can never express in worlds but savored every moment of it!!!!!.....

Well all of my trips had been memorable and exciting, but this recent trip is special and one of the best bike trips; I have done alone for some time, as if I relived 10 years of my life......glad for having keyed down whole thing, surely, years down the lane, even if my memory despises me, this document and this blog surely wont..And for all my friends who were majorly responsible for many happiest moments spent in past at each of these places, kudos to you guys…I love you all!!

A big part of life reclaimed!!!.

Link to.
Some best days of my life... Day1

Comments

Maverick said…
Awesome!!!
Maverick said…
Awesome!!!
Maverick said…
Awesome!!!
Anonymous said…
Hey ur travalogue has prompted me to plan a trip.. no more waiting....!!! Just one word to explain.... WOW!!!
Unknown said…
nice pics dude.......keep riding....

Popular posts from this blog

Pune Calling -Route deatils!!!!

Journey are a way of life!! A man with Machine

One Life To Ride